Friday, August 12, 2011

Satire

"...and the film ended happily and decorously, with the Beta blonde becoming the mistress of all her three rescuers." Pg. 169

     When I first read this passage, nothing struck me as unusual. By now I know the World State as a place of promiscuity and immorality, so this "feely" seemed normal. However, what would Huxley's early readers think of this open talk of immorality? I guess it is better to look at the novel in a more modern sense. Unlike the 1950s, people today are more willing to give into desires. We want a more immoral form of entertainment, where it is fun to do the wrong thing. This is where Huxley again presents the satire. Whether I like it or not, I do have some things in common with Alphas. Enjoyment can come from rebelling and pleasing my own desires. I may never devise a plan to control social thinking, but I am a sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment