Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Right to a Fair Trial

"Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, nad I shall again be virtuous." Pg. 69

     The topic was discussed yesterday regarding the innoncence of Justine and the creature against the evidence to suggest either one killed William. As the creature begins to recount his life since his animation, he never admits to committing the crime but presents the reader with some interesting pieces of information on which he/she can deduce their judgment. Although I have not fully read the entirety of the creature's recollections, I have come to contend that he did not kill Victor's brother William. I do not wish to persuade any reader to join my side, mostly because a counterargument to this stance would be just as valid. It is my opinion based on the mental characterization of the creature and his experiences with other humans. Towards the end of chapter twelve, the creature expounds upon the interactions he witnesses while hiding the the shed next to the cottage in the mountains. The care and compassion that Agatha, Felix, and the father demonstrated towards each other in the face of their poverty moved the creature and he found himself wanting to assist them in their struggles. This experience and his desire to help them out and learn their language came before the murder of William. So, I personally believe that the creature would be bolstered and inspired by the interactions here despite his earlier unpleasant humanly interactions. If he had exclusively known sorrow, as he states above, then I could understand his desire to get back at his creator by striking his family. However, the creature obviously learns quickly and I find it more plausible to think that he progressed in his ability to act rationally despite his ugly outward appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment