Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Archetypal Conflict

"'I would willingly afford you every aid in your pursuit; but the creature of whom you speak appears to have powers which would put all my exertions to defiance.'"
"'...and no one can conjecture to what place he has wandered, or what region he may now inhabit.'" Pg. 148

     Why does every piece of "classic literature" have to end with people dying voluntarily and half-way resolving their conflicts but leaving just enough hint of the conflict to have the reader frustrated? When I read the above quote and realized that Victor would not be receiving any help from the authorities in his pursuit, I immediately looked for the definition of an archetype, because this passage displays it perfectly. It seems like so many pieces of literary merit pit a far superior character, whether it be physical or mental, against an opponent who has no chance of succeeding. Upon reading of the magistrate's refusal, I instantly knew how the story would end. I could guess very accurately that Victor would not catch or kill the creature, the creature would kill himself out of hopelessness, and Victor would die on the ship. This book contains some relavant truths and very challenging moral dilemmas. However, I just want a book deemed of literary merit to end in some kind of action-packed conflict in which there is no dramatic irony or ignorance. I want a fight for the principles each character has established throughout the book without any imparity. Each side should be equally competent and able. I am not saying I would like everyone to die dramatically or hug and make up. Nevertheless, I know the conflicts being presented, and I can make my own decision as to the stance I wish to take. As for the book, it should include a more definite resolution of fate, and not such a flimsy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment