Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Motivation

"I doubted at first whether I should attempt the creation of a being like myself, or one of simpler organization; but my imagination was too much exalted by my first success to permit me to doubt of my ability to give life to an animal as complex and wonderful as man. The materials at present within my command hardly appeared adequate to so arduous an undertaking; but I doubted not that I should ultimately succeed." Pg. 32

     Victor Frankenstein slowly exposes his thoughts and feelings through some direct but mostly indirect characterization in the novel. Although the action is sparse compared to the internal thoughts and conflicts Victor exposes, the reader receives through these thoughts and feelings the motivation for his past actions. When beginning the novel, readers learn that from a young age Frankenstein revelled in his curiosity of "the magnificent appearance of things." He had an inquisitve mind that was nurtured by his positive upbringing and his relationships with Elizabeth and Henry. A while later, he reads the studies of philosophers Magnus and Paracelsus, and instantly calls himself "their disciple." It is at this point that, while recollecting, Victor acknowledges destiny took command and ultimately steered him to his dispair. After the creature seems to kill William, Victor shifts his motivation to destruction of the monster. The point I wish to make about Frankenstein's motivation stems from the sequence in which each particular motivation arises. Events in his life lead him become motivated to act in certain ways, such as after he creates the creature and it kills William. Victor is then motivated to kill the creature to end his own suffering and the danger he sees for others. The motivation does not come from within but is prompted by outside influences. He calls it destiny but I believe Victor lacks to ability to find motivation within himself and find a purpose to which he actually sees as overall good and worthwhile. By not doing so, he finds himself in guilt and dispair more than bliss and satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment