Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Toads"

"Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork and drive the brute off?" -"Toads" by Philip Larkin

    When reading this poem, I first noticed the sarcasm with which Larkin speaks. I carried that sarcasm on longer than the author probably intended and thought that he was upset with the injustice he faced through poverty. I realized Larkin is disgusted but for a different reason. He is unhappy with the way he comes about his livelihood. He would be much more content with having good luck than to waste his time working toward financial security. He also would rather have nothing at all like "losels" in the alleys. This made me question two things. Why doesn't he acknowledge the fact that he can live simply? Also, what is the significance of the toad to represent material wealth. I believe the most plausibel explanation to the first question is that it seems like he has no family to comfort and strengthen him like the "losels" ("their nippers...unspeakable wives). The best explanation I can give for the metaphor of a toad would be that toads are ugly, reclusive, and not discussed frequently. The pursuit for wealth can also be described as ugly and somewhat taboo. We sometimes make choices for the sake of wealth that negatively affect our personalities, and we don't nescessarily talk openly about gaining wealth; we just do it naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment