Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crossing the Bar

"I hope to see my Pilot face to face when I have crossed the bar." -"Crossing the Bar" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

     "Crossing the Bar" consists of mostly imagery and symbols to explain the quest in which the speaker is embroiled. I believe the bar is a "point of no return" in regards to life, which is interesting. In life we always have the choice to turn back regardless of the consequences. However, most of the poem is referring to death. The imagery used to associate death is somewhat peculiar though. The speaker explains her hope of the "flood may bear me far," indicating that there is some sort of furthur jouney awaiting him or her. I believe the bourne of Time and Place may be a symbol of God as he is our determination of the afterlife. The tone is also an important part of this poem. Of course death brings a negative connotation, but Tennyson puts a unique spin on it. Death is described as an endeavor into the seas. The seas are unpredictable, turbulent, and ruthless. Yet, the speaker has an almost certain faith that he/she will meet her maker in the unpredicatable afterlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment