Thursday, February 2, 2012

Unusual Response

"Talk you of killing?"
"Aye, I do."
"Then Heaven Have mercy on me!" V.ii.33-34

     Throughout the play, I was fascinated by the fact that many of the characters continue to act with civility and composure before or even after a physical attack. The above quote is a prime example of this observation, and one that struck me as odd while reading Act V. Desdemona becomes aware of the fact that Othello intends to kill her but instead of overreacting, attacking Othello, or running away, she anxiously but civilly asks for his mercy and a reason for his actions. Cassio acts similarly. Instead of cursing his attacker, Cassio simply asks for medical attention and desperately tries to figure out what has transpired. For me, this served as a kind of indirect characterization. I have to admit that I was questioning of Desdemona's characters throughout the entirety of the play. She seemed to be a bit of a flirt when talking with Iago. However, the civility that was shown by these two characters show that they were truly honest and upright characters. I find it interesting that compared to Othello at the end of the play, Cassio and Desdemona seem much more faithful to their respective causes than Othello. He was blinded by scandal. Although unnatural and unusual, the responses of the attackees goes to show that certain characters are full of much more integrity than characters who the reader would expect to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment