Thursday, January 26, 2012

Where is the Love?

"I hate the Moor, and it is thought abroad that 'twixt my sheets, He's done my office." (I.iii.366-368)

      As I begin my journey through Othello, I have come to find that the common conflict in many of Shakespeare's works includes the difficulty of married couples to preserve their love in the face of the lusts of other characters. The issue seems so ubiquitous that it gives a double meaning to the term tragedy. The dilemma leaves me questioning the reason behind such a widespread theme throughout a host of Shakespeare tragedies. When I think about the issue, I am exceedingly convinced that Shakespeare was a highly skilled satirist. He expertly points out common conflicts society finds itself facing. Why would Shakespeare most frequently point out the entrapments of love then? I believe Shakespeare saw directly into the downfalls in which love leaves individuals. He creates Iago to express this knowledge. Iago's main mission is to break up the marriage of Othello and assert his authority because he feels disrespected. Iago possesses an uncanny wit. Shakespeare must then value intelligence much more than the romantic ideal of love. He crafts a story around the superiority of such an intelligence.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment