Sunday, November 6, 2011

Suspense, Satire, and Situational Irony...but not alliteration

"So I said yes, and I went out with him for two years and he asked me to marry him,..." -"How I Met my Husband"

     I must say that I was quite surprised by the endings of nearly all the short stories in this unit. I feel like I could speak most readers when I say that I fully expected Edie to sleep with and run away with Chris and for Mrs. Das, in "Interpreter of Maladies" to make an advance at, or simply make an attempt at, Mr. Kapasi. However, the crafting of these stories by suspense adds to their effect. I was brought back to the sobering and somewhat less entertaining realities that (for "HIMMH") the soul will settle for less passionate love in the wake of desertment but (for "IOM") that the soul still yearns for that passionate, self-pleasing direction after experiencing the opposite. Interestingly, these are common dispositions among many people in society. They could even classify as social downfalls, and these stories shed light on them in different ways. Edie is the innocent, inferior citizen corrupted by the ways of mature society. Mrs. Das is the victim of lightspeed society where jobs and families drown out any possibiltiy of ambition in relationships and hobbies. Just like most society problems, they weren't casued my any one person but the majority, and they are difficult to resist or break away from. So, related to poetry, short stories are much the same, but drawn out over a more complex plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment