Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Colloquialism

"I don't know how it was where you were, but at Hailsham we had to have some form of medical almost every week-..." Pg. 13

     Beginning this reading endeavor, the first thing that struck me was the informality with which Ishsiguro captures the reader. I suppose this may be a function of the timeframe in which the novel was written. As a more modern composition than mid-20th century classics, its writing style reflects the literary progression. However, the use of colloquialism actually accomplishes an intended and ingenious effect. As I traversed through the first chapter, the familiarity of the memories and everyday details which the narrator speaks of caused me to speculate more strongly about the details of the plot. What is a carer or a donor? What kind of school is Hailsham? I felt more immersed in the life of Kathy H. due to her talking directly to me that it caused a hightened sense of cuiosity. Well done, colloquialism.

No comments:

Post a Comment